(I have been intending to write about this for quite some time now, but yesterday’s episode proved the catalyst.)

Over the past few weeks, I have become a huge fan of Vijay TV’s Neeya Naana. The talk show pits two groups of people against each other to discuss and argue about inane, inconclusive topics like “Are people happy before marriage or after?” or “Is romance in public places correct?” or “Should people believe in astrology?” Whereas, no conclusion is reached during the hour-long debate, it is fun to see people having a go at each other.

The strongest point of the show is the moderator, Gopinath. Seemingly well aware of the various shortcomings of the talk show, he treads the golden mean very well, ever alert to simmering tensions and quick to shifting perspectives when he senses trouble or repetition. Vijay TV, which has a long history of producing winners, has once again pulled it off, making this show, which airs on Sundays at 9 PM, one to wait a whole week for. Indeed one is led to think when was it last that one eagerly awaited a programme on television. Probably as far back to the days of “OLiyum Oliyum” on Doordarshan, decades ago. OLiyum Oliyum was a defining programme on Tamil television. It aired on Friday evenings, and the whole family looked forward to it, as if it were an event instead of a TV programme.

So despite the evident stupidity of the arguments expressed (of course, if you hand the microphone to an excitable Tamilian, and seat a couple of good-looking (?) girls in front of him, he will forget that he is on camera, and become a rare poet-philosopher-social scientist mixture), the show is worth watching at least for the fun portion. What a way to round off otherwise boring weekends!

No related posts.

Tags: , , , ,

43 Comments on Neeya Naana

1. anand prabhu says:

Indeed a enjoyable show… i like it quite a bit.. tough i see recorded versions online….

2. Usha says:

Neeya Naana is a very good program in Vijay TV. I dont miss it any week.

3. S. Ravi says:

Dear Sir,

I have been watching “Neeya Naana” since last year. It is a programme to be seen by everyone. Yesterday (04/01/2009) also I watched it. The topic was whether we have to believe the astrology or not. In that programme Mr. Shelvi, one of the two Cheif Guests, spoke very well. Especially the way he argued with the lady participant, by mentioning that she is a divorcee, was fantastic. I need a favour from you. Can you give me the Contact No. and Address of Mr. Shelvi. The below are my contact details.

1) Contact No. is 9444801724, 22651942
    2) subramaniamravi_1971@yahoo.com
    3) ravisubramaniam_1971@rediffmail.com

Please do the needful.

Regards,
    (S.RAVI).

4. kannan says:

Dear Sir,

MR.N.KANNAN – 98410 26732
    EMAIL – arkeyconsultants@yahoo.com

5. vasu says:

Hello.. !!! thrid request for Shelvi’s contact pls… would appreciate if somebody could mail this across

6. hemalatha says:

Hi,

I also require shelvi’s contact details. Pls send to my email id.

7. Prasad says:

Hi,

Can anyone please give me the contact (phone no, email) information of Mr.Gopinath?

Thanks in advance!

-Rgds,
    Prasad.
    kvn_prasad@rediffmail.com

8. oniV says:

hello Mr.Gopinath… im a grt fan of urs.. Neeya Naana is such a wonderful show… ur show brings out many social issues on stage…. then ive seen u once in my college culturals bt tht time i dnt knw much abt u so din even turn ur side!! bt nw i feel very bad 4 missing tht chance… and last yr v tried calling u 4 our dept. association bt heard tht u’ll charge much 4 such invitations so just like tht v left it off… hmmm then if u have sme free time, do visit our dept. once! im sure it will help u in ur shows!!! want 2 knw my dept.??? its ——>MA.Human Rights and Duties Education —–>Ethiraj College.. Hey then one prsnl comment… U LOOK DAMN GUD (sme times i do lie like dis…. he he he plz dnt mind)

bye,tekcare…..

9. rama says:

pl… pl… i too require mr.shelvi’s contact address can you help me

10. JAYASHREE says:

Hi Gopinath!

Neeya naana is really a fantastic programme.the way you conduct is mind blowing.I will really appreciate if anyone coud send Mr.Shelvi- astrologer’s email id or phone number and will really thankyou so much.I also would like to get Vijay TV’S contact numbers to participate in various programmes.

11. JAYASHREE says:

Hi Gopinath!

my email id – jrd2025@gmail.com

12. Nalina says:

I have been watching “Neeya Naana”. Its really good, Hats off to the team.

My email-id – nalina71@gmail.com

13. ambika says:

hi,

I have been watching neeya nana its great.I like the way Mr.Gopinath runs the show.I want to talk to Mr.Gopinath in person so can I have his contacts.

Rgds,
    Ambika.

14. Sreenivasan says:

Shelvi Astrologer Contact detail please

I had the oppurtunity to see his articles in kumudam bhakti and also the program in vijay tv.

But i dont know why he is hiding and not showing his identity. May be because he is too busy unlike astrologers of Vikatan Group – Chandrasekara Bharathy, Veda Gopalan, Miranda Joseph or Kumudam Jothidam which give free advises or KC Iyer of Dailythanthi.

Please have the contact detail of Mr.Shelvi.

thanks
    Sreenivasan
    bareshik@yahoo.com

15. mohana says:

HELLO SIR,
    There are no words to describe how most of us feel about the sufferings of the srilakan tamils.As a INDIAN and TAMILIAN we should responsible for the srilakan tamils who are in India for the moment by giving them a shoulder to lean on, accept them as our brothers and sisters.

IT would be great if a show would be conducted to bring awareness among our people in helping and treating the sirlakan tamils who are currently residing in India as one of us.also we need to keep in mind about a proverb ” vandhari vzlavaikum tamilnadu”

I would like to give a helping hand of 100 u.s dollars to a family or a studend for his/her education needs until they need support. please e-mail me of were to send the money.
    BE PROUD TO B A INDIAN
    with concern and love mohana

16. Rithu says:

Plz send the contact number n address of Mr.Shelvi to the below mail address : candy_rythm@yahoo.co.in
    Plz do reply
    Regard,
    Rithu

17. balasubramanian says:

pls send mr.shelvi mobileno, or mailid thanks.

18. Aleida says:

My email-id – annealeida@gmail.com

19. Manchubarkavi says:

Hi,

This is manju, Can anyone provide me the Contact No. and Address of Mr. Shelvi. would appreciate if somebody could mail this across.

20. Subramanian P says:

Plz do reply
    Regard,
    Subbu

21. ambika says:

Please send me the contact no &the address of the astrologer Sri.shelvi to the below e-mail address.

pls do reply
    thanks.
    ambika.s.

22. ambika says:

in a hurry i forgot to gave the id ;athma@in.com. if u do the needful,i’m thankful 2 u.

23. Mr.Sathishkumar says:

Dear sir,

we would be grateful if you send the contact number of Mr.Shelvi to the above email address. Expecting your reply at the earliest. Kindly do the needful.

With warm regards,
    Mr.Sathish

24. ahamed ashraf says:

i really waNA GET GOPINATH MOBILE NUM BCOZ I NEED 2 CONGRATULATE 2 HIM

25. Anand says:

sir i am anand from pondicherry…i invested money in one online trading company but that company franchise owner lost our money and escape from pondi..me and many clients are suffering lot i need the contact email or mobile no of Mr.gopinath .. pls help us .. waiting for ur reply ……….pls

anand

26. Anand says:

if any one knows sir no also pls mail me vijayanand_01186@yahoo.com my moblie no 9443601186

27. Dinesh says:

Hi.

Can u provide me the contact details of Mr.Shelvi ?

My email finesseh@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

28. Mohan says:

Shelvi contact pls

29. Mohan says:

Shelvi contact pls
    my email id :
    mohaninsoft@gmail.com

30. chithra says:

Hi
    please send me the contact number and email address of the astrologer shelvi .

email adderss is :: chithramanimekalai@yahoo.com

Thanks
    chithra

31. saran says:

can i get Mr.Selvi cantact no

32. ashok says:

ph: 9003120663
    gkashok@gmail.com
    gkashok@mail.com

33. Althaf says:

Hi.,

Please send me the contact number and email address of the astrologer Mr. Shelvi.

email adderss is :: jalthafahmed@rediffmail.com

Thanks and Regards
    Althaf

34. Kathiresan says:

Hi Friends,

Anybody help to me…

I need the talk show video in neeya naana vijay tv program the topic of do you believe astrology or not.

thanking you,
    Kathir.

35. Suganyah says:

1) Contact No. is 9840863283
    2) bsuganyah@yahoo.co.in

Awaiting for the email or a call.

Thanks.

36. gopal says:

please send contact details of MR. SHELVI

37. ssubharaman says:

can u please send contact details of MR. SHELVI

38. shankar says:

Hi Gopinath,

Wish if you can take a topic on population control with a list of poor people having more than 2 kids vs educated people having one.

It is required to control india’s population to the level that goverment can provide support to the families and individuals who are suffereing.

I wish all residents of the world should leave happily and we can eradicate poverty.

Regards,
    Sankar

39. shankar says:

I mean live happily !!!

40. Vedhanarayanan says:

No, actually, “leave happily” is the mot juste!

41. Srinath says:

Can you give me the Contact No. and Address of Mr. Shelvi.

mail id mrsrinath123@rediffmail.com