8. Enna Paarkiraai, movie: THAVAMAI THAVAMIRUNDHU – “Why should such a good song end so abruptly?” was my initial reaction (you’ll know if you see the movie). Excellent interludes (flute?). I would have placed it at 8 just for this one line – “Thanimai kodiyadha?”
7. Thazhuvudhu Nazhuvudhu, movie: ANBE AARUIYIRE – Another hate-love relationship. The refrain “Oru kanam oodal, maru kanam koodal, irandaiyum…” is winning! SPB, you are a world champion!
6. Theepidikka Theepidikka, movie: ARINTHUM ARIYAMALUM – Don’t know if MKT would have appreciated it, everyone else has! Without doubt, the remix of the century!
5. Ding Dong Koyilmani, movie: JI – The only relieving feature of a complete failure of a movie. The initial humming is too good. Madhu Balakrishnan deserves a kudos!
4. Iyengaru Veettu Azhage, movie: ANNIYAN – The one song that gives single Tam-Brahms like me any hope at all! I virtually lived with this song during my many slogfests (alternate term for long working days). Harris Jayaraj’s mastery is evident!
3. Chinna Chinna Sigarangal, movie: KANAA KANDEN – Percussion makes perfect. A fabulous song. Both singers (especially Sunitha Sarathy) have done well.
2. Oru Maalai Ilaveyil, movie: GHAJINI – In many lists, this would be numero uno. What happens when two great talents come together? A world-beating song. Karthik + Harris Jayaraj, a combo potent of defeating anyone. Great! Great!! Great!!!
1. Konjam Konjam, movie: ARINTHUM ARIYAMALUM – In many lists, this song would be absent. I have already dedicated a post in praise of this song and the singer,
Maheeva Mahua Kamat. I should have listened to this one song a few hundred times, and each time, I discover something. This number combines a lot of styles, of which the qawwali stands out. I have no second thoughts… this is the best Tamil movie song of the year.
But hang on…
My profession demands that I do something nerdy. Since computers start counting from zero, I’m still left with one position to fill up. But this is a special position, and it has to be filled up with something really really special… Which is Ilaiyaraaja’s Thiruvasagam. The entire album, I’ve heard nothing like it. And chances are I may never! To someone who leans towards divinity, this is a treasure trove! I would rate the entire album at position zero, but if asked for one specific song, I would settle for Koththumbi!
No related posts.